Authentic Can Do Cubes Support Jolly Phonics
- Can Do Cubes are wooden blocks with sounds/letters engraved on them.
- Kids love these hands-on cubes! They are a wonderful nearly literacy tool.
- Additionally, they have been successfully used for older students who struggle to read because of the simple wooden form.
- A cube is 6-sided and can be flipped and turned to expose 6 different sounds. Students can join the sounds to create words!
- The sound groupings follow programs like Jolly Phonics.
- You will find digraphs, double letters, magic e, and alternative spellings.
Thank you Nancy Kondrat
The STARTER SET includes :
- 1 tray of Stage 1 Cubes.
- 1 tray of Stage 2 cubes
- Handbook for Stage 1.
- Handbook for stage 2.
- DVD by Debbie Hepplewhite.
- Phonics Chart.
- Word Chart.
- Online Templates/worksheets
- Follow https://www.candocubes.com – Can Do’s News and Users’ Views
*Recommended by Dyslexia Action (The Dyslexia Institute)
The 3 essential skills taught from week one:
- Sound out and blend all-through-the-printed-word for reading.
- Segment the sounds all-through-the-spoken-word for spelling. Identify the correct letters and letter combinations for the sounds. Write the word.
- Print the 42 sounds of the alphabet, in their correct place on the line, if the child is physically able.
The DVD features Debbie Hepplewhite discussing the theory and teaching of Synthetic Phonics. She also ‘sounds out’ (interactive) the 44 phonemes that make up the simple alphabetic code.
Stage One: The Simple Alphabetic Code
- The Student Tray for Stage One has 27 hardwood cubes.
- There is one spelling each for the 44 different sounds in English.
- In all, there are eight different cubes.
- The tray contains six of cube number1 and three each of cubes numbers 2 to 8.
- The order of the sounds is indicated on the individual cubes.
Stage Two: The Complex Alphabetic Code
- The Student Tray for Stage Two shows the spelling variations for the 44 sounds (e.g., the/ai/ cube features ai, ay, ey, eigh, and ea).
- The tray also contains linked cubes for split vowel digraphs (e.g., a-e, e-e, i-e, o-e, u-e).
- Capital letters are included. They are used for shape/sound recognition. Alternatively, they can be used to match with lower case letters or to make words.
- There are also cubes with double letters and basic punctuation.
- Finally, all spelling variation cubes show the one spelling learned in Stage One.
- Laurie Fyke’s Step-by-Step Teachers Guide and Handbook is available with the purchase.
- A separate Stage Two instruction book and Debbie Hepplewhite’s ‘synthetic phonics overview chart’ complete the set.
- Add these amazing manipulatives to YOUR PHONICS PROGRAM!!! (i.e., JOLLY PHONICS)
- Stage One and Stage Two Student trays (sets of three trays) are excellent support materials for any synthetic phonics program.
- Check out Deb Bible (USA) or Michael Hughes (UK) for pricing. See the information below.
Stage ONE x 3 trays
Stage TWO x 3 trays
Can Do Cubes for English Grammar Basic Set
- Check out additional sets (Math, Homophone, Science) at https://www.candocubes.com
- this hands-on resource is an enjoyable exploration of English grammar structures.
- You will find simple subject/verb agreements for complex sentences, without the need to write.
- The cubes stimulate creativity!
- The student can place the cubes in the grammatically correct order… and print the sentence.
- This is a set of 150 hardwood cubes. Grammatically related words are laser-engraved on each block.
Check with Deb Bible (USA) or Michael Hughes (UK) for pricing. See the information below.
For more information contact:
Can Do Education Limited Contact: Michael Hughes 3 Poplar cottages Liitlewick Common Knaphill Surrey GU21 2JY Email: [email protected] Website: https://www.candocubes.com
North America Contact: Deb Bible Website: www.debbible.com (new home of https://jollyphonics4u.com/)
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hey, I’m Laurie Fyke.
I love getting kids excited about learning… and sharing early literacy ideas with fellow teachers! I provide information and activities to maximize each child’s learning potential as they learn to read and write. I enjoy helping parents and teachers in my roles as a Literacy Specialist, Professional Jolly Phonics Trainer, or Published Author. (Scholastic NY, TPT, Jolly Learning)