Authentic Can Do Cubes Support Jolly Phonics and the Science of Reading
- Can Do Cubes are wooden blocks with sounds/letters engraved on them.
- Kids love these hands-on cubes! They are an excellent nearly literacy tool.
- Additionally, they have been successfully used for older students who struggle to read because of the simple wooden form.
- Flip or turn the 6-sided cube to expose six different sounds. Students are able to connect the sounds to create words!
- The sound groupings follow programs like Jolly Phonics.
- You will also find digraphs, double letters, magic e, and alternative spellings.
Thank you, Nancy Kondrat
Sound cubes are a great tool for teaching children how to segment and blend sounds in words. They have letters on each face, and children use the cubes to read the sounds or create simple words.
Segmenting is the process of breaking down a word into its individual sounds or phonemes. For example, the word “cat” can be segmented into three sounds: /k/ /a/ /t/. By using sound cubes, children can practice segmenting words and identifying the individual sounds that make up each word.
Blending is the opposite process, where children take individual sounds and blend them together to form a word. For example, if a child rolls the letter “s,” the letter “a,” and the letter “t,” they can blend these sounds together to form the word “sat.”
By using sound cubes to practice segmenting and blending, children can develop phonological awareness, which is the ability to identify and manipulate the sounds in words. This skill is essential for reading and writing, and sound cubes can be a fun and interactive way to help children develop these skills.
The CAN DO CUBES STARTER SET includes :
- 1 tray of Stage 1 Cubes.
- 1 tray of Stage 2 cubes
- Handbook for Stage 1.
- Handbook for stage 2.
- DVD by Debbie Hepplewhite.
- Phonics Chart.
- Word Chart.
- Online Templates/worksheets
- Follow https://www.candocubes.com – Can Do’s News and Users’ Views
*Recommended by Dyslexia Action (The Dyslexia Institute)
The 3 essential skills taught from week one:
- Sound out and blend all-through-the-printed-word for reading.
- Segment the sounds all through the spoken word for spelling. Identify the correct letters and letter combinations for the sounds. Write the word.
- Print the 42 sounds of the alphabet in their correct place on the line if the child is physically able.
The DVD features Debbie Hepplewhite discussing the theory and teaching of Synthetic Phonics. She also ‘sounds out’ (interactive) the 44 phonemes that make up the simple alphabetic code.
First Stage: The Simple Alphabetic Code
- The Student Tray for Stage One has 27 hardwood cubes.
- There is one spelling each for the 44 different sounds in English.
- In all, there are eight different cubes.
- The tray contains six of cube number 1 and three each of cubes numbered 2 to 8.
- The order of the sounds is indicated on the individual cubes.
Then Stage Two: The Complex Alphabetic Code
- The Student Tray for Stage Two shows the spelling variations for the 44 sounds (e.g., the/ai/ cube features ai, ay, ey, eigh, and ea).
- The tray also contains linked cubes for split vowel digraphs (e.g., a-e, e-e, i-e, o-e, u-e).
- Capital letters are included. They are used for shape/sound recognition. Alternatively, they can be used to match with lowercase letters or to make words.
- There are also cubes with double letters and basic punctuation.
- Finally, all spelling variation cubes show the one spelling learned in Stage One.
- Laurie Fyke’s Step-by-Step Teachers Guide and Handbook is available with the purchase.
- A separate Stage Two instruction book and Debbie Hepplewhite’s ‘synthetic phonics overview chart’ complete the set.
- Add these amazing manipulatives to YOUR PHONICS PROGRAM!!! (i.e., JOLLY PHONICS)
- Stage One and Stage Two Student trays (sets of three trays) are excellent support materials for any synthetic phonics program.
- Check out Deb Bible (USA) or Michael Hughes (UK) for pricing. See the information below.
Stage ONE x 3 trays
Stage TWO x 3 trays
Can Do Cubes for English Grammar Basic Set
- Check out additional sets (Math, Homophone, Science) at https://www.candocubes.com
- this hands-on resource is an enjoyable exploration of English grammar structures.
- You will find simple subject/verb agreements for complex sentences without the need to write.
- The cubes stimulate creativity!
- The student can place the cubes in the grammatically correct order… and print the sentence.
- This is a set of 150 hardwood cubes. Grammatically related words are laser-engraved on each block.
Check with Deb Bible (USA) or Michael Hughes (UK) for pricing. See the information below.
For more information contact:
Can Do Education Limited Contact: Michael Hughes 3 Poplar cottages Liitlewick Common Knaphill Surrey GU21 2JY Email: [email protected] Website: https://www.candocubes.com
North America Contact: Deb Bible Website: www.debbible.com (new home of https://jollyphonics4u.com/) Check out: Systematic Phonics vs. Analytic Phonics – What’s the Difference?
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hey, I’m Laurie Fyke.
I love getting kids excited about learning… and sharing early literacy ideas with fellow teachers! I provide information and activities to maximize each child’s learning potential as they learn to read and write. I enjoy helping parents and teachers in my roles as a Literacy Specialist, Professional Jolly Phonics Trainer, or Published Author. (Scholastic NY, TPT, Jolly Learning)
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.